We're here to help

Call us on 0300 777 4321



As we approach the end of the financial year, it is important that you inform the relevant office about any changes in your circumstances that are about to occur.
Posted on: Mon 11th March, 2019

You may need to inform Housing Benefit or Universal Credit about the forthcoming change to your rent, or any other change of circumstance. Allow us to guide you through the process...

Posted on: Mon 28th January, 2019

As the weather is turning colder you may notice more moisture in your home.

Posted on: Thu 20th December, 2018

Christmas is coming and so is the Herefordshire Housing rent free week. 

Older man smiling in Hereford
Posted on: Mon 23rd July, 2018

Around a third of those eligible for Pension Credit are not claiming it and could be missing out on extra money each week, so it is worth checking if you could be entitled, and claim Pension Credit

HomeHunt logo
Posted on: Thu 21st June, 2018

In June we launched another option for people to apply for some of our properties, HomeHunt.

Posted on: Tue 13th February, 2018

If you're a Herefordshire Housing tenant your rent will change from 02/04/18. You should have received a letter from us confirming this.

Posted on: Wed 13th December, 2017

So then the Government have made a few changes to their plans to roll out Universal Credit in Herefordshire, mainly it's been delayed until June 2018....

Posted on: Thu 16th November, 2017

You could be eligible for the Warm Homes Discount if you’re on a low income. On-top of this if your household’s income is less than £15,000 per year, you might be eligible to receive support from Welsh Water’s HelpU tariff...

Posted on: Fri 27th October, 2017

If you’re struggling to pay rent, please don’t bury your head in the sand - talk to us as soon as possible, we're here to help.

Universal Credit logo

Questions about Universal Credit?

Posted on: Mon 14th May, 2018

Universal Credit (UC) is the new benefit the Government is introducing for working age claimants. If either you or your partner are pensioners this change doesn't affect you.

UC is being rolled out in Herefordshire from 13th June 2018. This will mean that if you have to make a new claim for any of the benefits below you'll have to claim UC instead:

  • Housing Benefit
  • Jobseekers Allowance (income based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income related)
  • Income Support
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

Importantly if you're already receiving one or more of the above benefits you'll carry on receiving them for the time being.

Remember, it’s only if you have to make a new claim for one of the above benefits that you’ll claim UC instead.

If you receive UC your total entitlement will be lumped together and you'll receive one payment on the same day each month.

UC is paid and managed differently from many other benefits so you may need to make changes to how you manage your benefit claims and money.



Here's some commonly asked questions;

Do I need online access to receive Universal Credit?

Yes the government expect you to claim and maintain UC online.

If you don’t have access to the internet please see the map here which details most public access PC and wifi locations in Herefordshire.

In addition to this, Herefordshire Housing runs a Job Club at Hinton Community Centre, Ross Road, Hereford every Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. Laptop computers are available to use along with help to use them if required.

If you think you need further help using your Universal Credit account you can contact Herefordshire Council’s Customer Services Team at Blueschool House in Hereford or the library in Ross and ask about ‘Assisted Digital Support’.

Will I need to prove my identity?

When you first claim UC you will be required to prove your identity to the Jobcentre, even if you've done this previously to claim another benefit. Please see here for a full list confirming the documents you'll need to provide. If you don’t currently have any of the Primary Evidence you may want to consider applying for a provisional driving license now.

Will I need a Bank Account?

UC can be paid into a bank account or a Post Office Card account. Unfortunately however you can’t use a Post Office Card account to set up automated payments (Direct Debits) for rent and bills. If you don’t have a bank account you could think about opening a basic bank account that offers Direct Debits. If you have a partner, UC will normally make one payment for both of you into one account so you’ll need to decide who'll  receive it.

Is Universal Credit paid weekly or monthly?

UC is paid once a month. You’ll have to pay your rent, bills and household expenses out of your monthly payment. It may be that you’re used to getting your benefit every two weeks at the moment so it is important that you start to plan your budget around monthly benefit payments instead.

Does Universal Credit still include Housing Benefit?

Your monthly UC payment will include help with your rent (known as a Housing Element). You will then have to pay this to Herefordshire Housing yourself. Paying your rent will need to be your top priority each month. The easiest way to do this is by Direct Debit.

I'm expecting a child who'll be born after 20th June, does this mean I can't claim Child Tax Credit?

Yes and no. It depends on if you have other existing benefit claims or if you have other children. For example if your first child is to be born after June 20th then yes you'd need to claim Universal Credit, and if you were in recipt of any of the other 6 benefits (listed above) they would stop and become Universal Credit. If you were already claiming Child Tax Credit for other children then your existing Child Tax Credit award and other benefits would continue. 

If you'd like further help or advice relating to Universal Credit please get in touch with our Tenancy Sustainment Team here.