We're here to help

Call us on 0300 777 4321



My Tenancy

All new tenants of Herefordshire Housing have a ‘starter tenancy’ which gives fewer rights than a full assured tenancy.  Providing you don’t breach the terms of your starter tenancy, it'll be automatically converted to a full assured tenancy after 12 months. 

If breaches occur at any time during your tenancy – for example, anti-social behaviour or using your home for illegal or immoral purposes – your tenancy may be at risk. Here’s a quick summary of some key points.

Can I carry out my own improvements?

As a tenant you have the right to request permission to make improvements, alterations and additions to your home. You must however receive written permission before you begin. For more information please see our Own Improvements leaflet

Care for your home

You have a responsibility to look after your home, which includes furnishing and decorating it, and keeping it clean and tidy. Herefordshire Housing has a responsibility to carry out some repairs. Find out more information here.

Use of your home

Your home's intended as just that – a home. If you want to use it to run a business,  you’ll need to get our permission first.  You will also need to tell us if you are going to be away from your home for more than 4 weeks. We’ll ask for contact information, so we can get in touch with you in case of an emergency at your home.  If you are away for a long period of time, we may assume that you have moved out and will take action to regain possession of your property.

Looking to end your tenancy?

If you want to end your tenancy, just give us written notice.

Pets and Animals

We allow you to keep a pet at your home subject to the pet being kept under control, not causing a noise or nuisance and being kept in a suitable environment. If you wish to keep any additional  pets you must ask our permission. We may withdraw permission for you to keep any pets if they cause a noise and nuisance.

Leaving your Herefordshire Housing property

You'll need to look after your home in accordance with your tenancy agreement, leaving it in a suitable condition for us to re-let. If this doesn't happen, you'll be recharged for any work we have to undertake, above our normal void works. For all the info click here.

Moving House (Mutual exchanges)

If you need to move to something bigger or smaller you can do it through Home Point. Home Point will assess your current circumstances and advise you of your priority and the number of bedrooms you're entitled to. You can then start bidding on any matching properties. These properties are advertised each week on the Home Point website, our office at Legion Way and all Herefordshire Council offices. 

If you’re successful in bidding, we’ll need to carry out an inspection to check everything's in a good state of repair. In some cases – for example where there’s a lot of damage – we won't be able to make you an offer. In addition to having kept your home in a good state of repair you'll also need to have a clear rent account.

For a guide on how tenants should leave their home click here

Mutual exchanges

A mutual exchange is where you swap properties with another social housing tenant. Remember both you and the person you're swapping with will need to ask their landlord’s permission first. If you're looking for someone to swap with this website could help - www.homeswapper.co.uk

  • When you've found someone you’d like to exchange with, complete our application form - You can arrange for one of these to be sent to you by contacting our Customer Service Team.
  • Once we have received your competed form we'll check to make sure that you've a clear rent account and owe no other money to us.  Once we've done this we'll contact you to arrange a property inspection and electrical check.
  • Once all the checks have been passed we'll discuss your moving date and complete the final stages of paperwork. 

You can find out more in our Mutual Exchanges leaflet

Top tips

  1. Research the area, it might be noisy at certain times of day
  2.  Find out what belongs to the tenant and what belongs to the landlord
  3. Consider the costs of making decor changes, how much will it cost to make the home more like your home?
  4.  Check the tenancy type
  5. Find out how much the rent is, it could be more it could be less than you're currently paying
  6. Neighbours. What are they like? Can you meet them?
  7. Condition - Inspect any white goods that will be staying
  8. Eligibility - Some homes have eligibility rules in place that you must meet in order to move in
  9. Occupancy requirements - Different landlords have different criteria, check them out to see how they differ
  10. How serious is the other swapper? Don’t make any major changes to your life until your swap has been approved and you’ve signed the paperwork

For a detailed top tips list cick here