As a social landlord, we are responsible for making sure your home is safe, weatherproof and secure and that all your water, gas and electricity are working well. If you are a tenant, we also carry out annual safety checks, including:
- Gas or Solid Fuel Service/Safety
- Gas Installation Pipework (e.g. pipework to a cooker)
We are also committed to providing quality homes that meet or exceed the Decent Homes Standard. As part of this, we are continually making home improvements. Over the coming years, key projects are as follows:
- Energy Efficient Heating Systems. We will be installing either an air source heat pump or solar panels to properties in rural areas (part funded with a Renewable Heat Premium Payment)
- Helping people live independently. We will undertake home adaptations of up to £2,000
- Decent Homes Plus. The Decent Homes standard is set by the Government. With our Decent Homes Plus, we aim to exceed the minimum requirements
- Affordable Warmth. We will be improving the energy efficiency of our properties to help reduce fuel poverty. Projects include loft and cavity insulation and the introduction of highly efficient heating systems
Who carries out the work?
Our Improvements Team carries out the majority of the work, but we also use a number of accredited Building Contractors for bigger projects or specialist work, such as insulation and tarmacking. as well for carrying out regular checks and surveys on everything from asbestos to energy performance. This helps us keep our properties at ‘decent home standard’, and to make sure we meet all the latest building regulations and legislation. Wherever possible, we use local contractors to keep jobs in the area.
What’s the process?
We’ll always give you plenty of notice, discuss the choices and keep you informed throughout the works. We also make sure you have a Resident Liaison Officer to answer your questions concerns.
Is your home involved in future improvements?
For a full list of works and the properties involved, see our Home Improvements booklet.
Can I carry out my own improvements?
As a tenant you have the right to request permission to make improvements, alterations and additions to your home. You must however receive written permission before you begin. For more information please see our Own Improvements Leaflet